Saturday, July 16, 2011

Chapter 14 Ethan

We were  shoveling river rocks into the front flower beds to cut down on the task of weeding when a large bird flew over our heads and landed on the roof.  I thought it was a large dove but knew there was something different about it.  I continued to go about my task of shoveling when it registered in my brain that this was a pigeon.  We don't usually see pigeons out here but we do have quite a few doves.  It kept circling the house coming in closer each time so that I could see that it had a band on it's leg.  Now my brain had kicked into gear, this was someone's racing pigeon, I had to save it.  The pigeon decided to land in the back yard where there was water and bird seed.  Oh no!  The jaws of death would soon be upon him.  I put a leash on the black dog and tethered him in the carport.

What should I do?  This pigeon was headed for the back porch and then looking in my windows.  I believe he thought he was home.  I went to my computer and googled racing pigeons in Texas.  I found a number of someone in a town nearby who was a member of a homing pigeon group.  I called him and he told me to try to get the numbers on the bird's leg.  I took a picture of him through the glass door and was able to get the numbers.  I called the fellow back to give him the information.  He tried locating the bird's owner through a racing pigeon website but couldn't seem to find it.  He then gave me the phone number of the president of the local chapter of racing pigeons.  He told me to try to get it into a cage by putting food and water into the cage.  It was so easy, it worked!  I put the dog kennel on the back porch with food and water in it and propped the door open.  Mickey Blue, the Pyrenees was very curious but I knew he would not hurt the bird.  I told him to go away, which he did. Within a matter of minutes the bird was approaching the kennel as I stood ready nearby to close the door of the kennel once he entered.

The pigeon walked straight into the kennel the way I hoped he would.  I quickly closed the door, success!  I phoned the number of the local president without luck.  His voice mail told me he was out of town.  I put the kennel in the garage for the night to insure a hungry snake would not slither into the kennel and make a tasty dinner of the wayward bird.

The next morning I was able to make contact with the head of the local chapter.  He said to give him a little time and he would locate the owner from the numbers I had given him.  Within an hour he called me back with a name and number.  I called the number and spoke to a very nice man who loved to talk. Yes, this was his bird, named Ethan.  Ethan was named after his grandson and actually belonged to his granddaughter in south Texas.  Apparently Ethan had been in a race about 150 miles away and must have gotten tired and decided to take a rest where he sensed there was food and water.

Ethan's home was about 50 miles south of my home.  It was agreed that I should take Ethan to the nearest intersection and point him south as I released him.  I loaded up the kennel into the back of my car and headed down to the north/south highway intersection.  I pointed him south and tossed him into the air.  Ethan flew high into the sky and began to circle.  He circled for quite some time trying to get his bearings and then he took off but not south.  I was very concerned but figured he would eventually realize he was headed the wrong direction.

I phoned Ethan's owner to tell him to keep a lookout for Ethan.  A day later Ethan still had not returned home.  His owner suggested that sometimes pigeons philander a bit before returning home.  He assured me that once Ethan sewed his wild seed that he would make his way back home.

Ethan's owner said most people would not have realized  that he was not just another bird.  He was very grateful that I cared enough to help him find his way home.

I never heard if Ethan made it home or if he is still out philandering.  I prefer to think he went home and assume that he did or the owner would have called me thinking Ethan had returned to my yard.  Soar high Ethan, soar high into the sky.


Ethan

No comments:

Post a Comment