Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year to All!

It's a bummer starting out the new year with a pinched nerve under my scapula.  Not much takes me down cause I'm a tough old bird but this is really irritating.  It's been hurting going on 3 days now and I'm getting tired of it.  The only thing that relieves the pain is a heating pad.

We have finally finished all the Christmas left overs and it's time to start cooking again.  I did make a cream of broccoli soup last week to keep the left overs from getting too monotonous.  Here is the recipe:

A head or two of broccoli
1 box of Swanson Chicken Broth(no msg)
1 or 2 cups of water depending on how much volume you like or add more chick broth for a richer flavor
Simmer broccoli on low till soft
Chop and Saute an onion and several garlic cloves in olive oil with a tablespoon of butter for flavor
Add sauteed onions and garlic to broccoli/broth
Simmer a while longer
Puree in food processor, blender or  use hand held emulsifier
Add 2 cups of half and half
Return to heat
Season to taste with salt, pepper, turmeric and curry powder
Heat slowly to warm, do not boil

This soup lasted 3 days for me and my hubby!  It was delicious with a side salad and homemade flat bread.

Today is the day that we must all eat black eye peas and some type of greens.  According to southern tradition eating these brings good luck for the new year.

I will cook mine with onions, garlic and the ham bone I saved from Christmas day.  I've got some Swiss chard growing in my garden that the recent freeze didn't kill and will toss that in the pot for good luck and the health benefits.  Some people like corn bread with their black eye peas.  I do, but I also like mine with rice, ,,,just a family tradition.

I don't think I have ever begun a new year without consuming black eye peas no matter what country I was in and this is not going to be the first.  So eat your black eye peas my friends and Happy New Year to everyone.

I'm not much for resolutions because they are rarely kept.  Therefore I'm not making any that involve weight loss or exercise.  I enjoy food way to much to make myself feel guilty for not sticking to a diet resolution.  Actually I may resolve to eat more of my favorite things...chocolate for sure and drink a little more red wine.  That would be an easy one to keep.  I think I will try to be more meek and humble.  It just seems like a safe way to be.  I will toss a little creativity in there also so as not to be a bore!  Most people who know me will laugh at that but maybe I will surprise them.

My hope for the new year is that all creatures of this earth be safe, healthy, prosperous and have a full belly.  May goodness prevail and evil die among man kind.  

No comments:

Post a Comment