Thursday, February 23, 2012

New Life!

If you ask me, mammal babies are the prettiest of all species.  We all love looking at baby dolphins, whales, monkeys, puppies and kitties but who doesn't love standing at the new born nursery window in a hospital gazing at all the perfect little human babies.  They are all beautiful with perfect little bodies.  The softest thing you can ever feel is the skin of a new born baby.

I cannot even begin to express the surreal experience of becoming a grand parent for the first time.  I had the very honorable experience this week of attending the birth of my first grandchild...my own daughter's first baby.  I think I was in shock throughout the entire experience as I watched my own baby bring forth her first child into the world.  I cry tears of joy as I write this blog.  It was not an easy pregnancy for her, but after being in labor almost 24 hours and pushing for one hour all her hard work paid off as the sound of her daughter's cry filled the room.

As my mom says,"all old hens think their little chick is the prettiest"....and I guess that goes along with the saying, "beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder".  I took many pictures and videos of this baby as it came into the world.  I let the parents get settled with their new baby and retreated for the night.  The next day I was able to hold my new grand daughter for a nice nap.  As I gazed into her certain to be blue eyes I thought to myself, "so what's all the hype about being a grandparent?"  I knew the answer to that but I don't know if I can even begin to put it in words.  It's more than carrying on the blood line and seeing the next generation of one's family spring forth.  I remember holding each of my own children when they were born and feeling like a lioness ready to kill and devour anything that posed a threat.  I think I remained that way well into their adult years and probably am still that way.  Looking at my new granddaughter my emotions run like a river.  What am I thinking about this perfect little human cradled in the bend of my arm?  It's love for sure, it's longing to be young again and produce more of my own, it's a certain knowledge that I never will.  It's like a period on a long sentence and a whole new chapter beginning.  It's such joy and delight that I never expected and still cannot express.  It's pride in my own child for doing such a good job. When she took her first breath outside her mother's womb and gave a little gasp and cry, I felt myself gasp also.  Her parents cried from the overwhelming emotion and I was standing there with tears in my eyes also.  Where did the time go?  I want those years back.  I want to be a young mother again and do it better this time.

I was so proud of my daughter for the long, never ending troublesome pregnancy and the perfect labor and delivery.  I felt incredible gratitude toward the nurses and doctor for doing such a wonderful job.  They were like angels moving about the delivery room performing each task like a symphony playing a beautiful musical piece, each note on key.  It was delightful to watch.  I could not have purchased the most expensive private seats to any performance any where in the world that would have equaled this performance.  The players were spectacular.  And what a fulfilling job, bringing forth new life every day!  Each time must be like a confirmation that human kind will continue to move forward.

I left the new little family to learn the task ahead of them.  I know this sweet little girl child will teach them as she makes her demands known.  They will suffer from lack of sleep for the rest of their lives as they care for and worry about their offspring, just as I still do.  But the rewards and joy are enough to keep us going and let us forget how tired we are.

I'm home now, only an hour away from them ready to jump into my vehicle and be by their sides if needed.  Of course that's just me thinking they might and knowing they won't.  They are perfectly capable of doing the job.  Whatever it is in becoming a grandparent is making me yearn for that child.  I'm a sucker all over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment