Monday, February 27, 2012

Sleep

Try getting any sleep in a hospital after giving birth to a baby.  It's impossible.  My daughter delivered her first child last week after a long labor.  She was exhausted going into the labor and delivery.  She had very little sleep the last two months of her pregnancy due to discomfort and anxiety.  After the child was born she thought she would at last be able to sleep.

The day after her delivery I sat quietly holding my new grand daughter as my daughter tried to sleep. I actually dozed off with the baby in my arms.   I was there for 4 hours.  Within that four hour period many people knocked on her door, all with good intentions.

Of course her nurse came in several times which is understandable to check her patient.
The lactation consultant came twice.
The photographer came to see if she was interested in having professional photos taken while in the hospital, leaving a brochure behind.
Someone from the kitchen popped in to let her choose from a menu for lunch.
House keeping came to tidy the room
Another person from the kitchen came to pick up the breakfast tray.
The pediatrician came to examine the baby and pronounce her healthy.
The obstetrician came to check on my daughter.
A hearing technologist came by to ask if my daughter was interested in having her baby's hearing checked.

That's 9 knocks on her door within a 4 hour period, not including the nurse who came more than once to deliver meds and ask questons.  It seemed that every time my daughter would drift off for a much needed nap someone would knock on the door.  She was a much better sport than I would have been.  With each knock she was very polite with not even a hint of frustration in her voice.  Had it been me I would have put a "do not disturb" sign on my door.

I know that one must be thinking "why didn't she sleep at night".  Well, after having a baby most women are exhausted and need to sleep but there is a certain "high" or exhilaration after delivering a baby.  No matter how tired a new mother is, I think the adrenaline in her blood keeps her alert for many hours afterward.  And let's not forget about all the pushing going on during delivery.  I don't believe many of us who have not given birth realize the exertion it takes to get a 5 to 9 pound baby out of the womb and into the world.  It's work, a lot of work that the body is not accustomed to.  Most women are terribly sore after the epidural fades, considering they even had an epidural.  And then there is the episiotomy or a big rip in the perineum to allow the baby to enter the world, which must be repaired.  This is very painful once the anesthetic has worn off.  Honestly the after affects of child birth is almost like being hit by an 18 wheeler truck.  Sleep is much needed and so hard to get.  There must be a reason for this, however I have not figured it out.  I've been through it 5 times myself and am still wondering why a new mother is not treated with more consideration.  Maybe it's preparation for the sleepless nights sure to come from taking care of a fretful baby.

The next day my daughter went home and was at last able to sleep for 2 hours at a time as the baby slept also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment