Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Good Day To Stay In Bed

The temps dipped to almost 20F last night.  That's too cold for a warm weather Texan.  I think I will stay in bed which is where I am writing this blog from, listening to the wind whipping through the oaks.  My dogs are outdoor dogs but when we built the house we added a stone enclosure on the back covered patio for them.  It's cool in the summer and the dogs' own body heat keeps it warm in the winter.  It's like two little caves back to back so they have their own space and can move in and out freely.

I made a new coat for Shadow and finished it within an hour of starting.  I got it on him right before the lights went out wagering with myself if he would digest it by morning.  At 7:30am I awoke to see him frolicking with Mickey and the coat hanging lopsided with a small tear in the top.  If I had slept in, I'm certain he would have devoured it!  He has managed to eat two previous coats I've made for him and I patched them until there wasn't enough left to patch.  Honestly I don't think it's because he doesn't like them.  He loves blankets and pulls them from the kennel daily to drag to a sunny spot where he lays on them.  And sometimes he is like "Tigger" with the table cloth in Winnie the Pooh's house, he fights with them.  I think he is about 4 or 5 years old so I'm wondering when he will outgrow the puppy stage.Dogs are so much like human children.  Their personalities change daily and they are sometimes a joy to observe.
From his posture I believe he is thinking, just wait till morning!

Today is bread making day again.  We have managed to eat our way through the last batch.   And we are working our way through the second batch of hummus now.  I was lazy yesterday and didn't feel like cooking a meal.  As I was digging through the freezer I came upon a container of something that looked like soup.  We defrosted it to discover a lovely dish of chicken gumbo that my daughter and her husband had prepared a while back...ah ha, supper it was....and still delicious!

I think we are off to Costco this week to stock up for Christmas week.  With the money some of us spend on food it makes me wonder how some people even survive.  We could do with so much less than we actually consume.  I personally was raised on beans and rice.  There was no daily salad, fruit or veggies and we were extremely healthy. I never even heard of a food pyramid till I was an adult.

We never had immunizations of any kind until the polio vaccine arrived on the scene which was almost my undoing.  After receiving the junk by mouth I suppose it affected my nervous system, not sure but I awoke in the middle of the night at the age of about 4 or 5 to go to the bathroom.  As I rolled off the bed to land on my feet, my legs collapsed.  I could not walk!  My father took me to the doctor the next day and it was decided I should go on a bland diet with no salt, of mashed potatoes and coke, not the kind you snort but the kind you drink, cola, soda pop, whatever you want to call it. Apparently I was having an adverse reaction to the polio immunization.  After a week on this diet and my father carrying me every where we went, which by the way I totally enjoyed, I regained the use of my legs with no lingering effects.  I know I was one of the lucky ones.

Speaking of immunizations, our kids today are pin cushions which I believe leads to big revenue for drug companies.  Kids of my generation lived through measles, mumps and chickenpox.  I believe I had measles more than once so apparently I had more than one kind.  I stepped on a rusty nail that went right through my foot.  My dad washed it with soap and water and I went about my adventurous way stepping on bees and whatever came under foot.  We rarely wore shoes except to go to school or church.  I even remember going to the grocery store barefoot.  I suppose there would be a name for someone like that today.   On another occasion I jumped off a porch to land on a broken bottle which required several stitches and 60 years later I still sport the scar on my foot.  I did not have a tetanus shot for either of these accidents.  Actually I have had one tetanus shot in my life and that was for travelling overseas.  I had a series of shots before that trip and it made me sick as a dog.  Since that time I have refused any and all immunizations.  I don't even get a flu shot, never have, never intend to.  I will take my chances with the flu.  It is a series of symptoms that if treated individually will subside within a few days.  But it sure is a good reason to invent a vaccine for drug company profit.  I wonder what kind of houses these drug company executives live in?

I have 4 children who were pin cushions to help support the drug industry.  The 4th child was born late Aug 1992 about 2 weeks before the hepatitis B vaccine was given to newborn babies within hours of their births.  I feel I was lucky again because I don't believe a newborn baby needs a hepatitis vaccine unless it comes from a high risk mother.  This is total insanity and greed for those who profit from these vaccines.  Don't think I don't understand vaccines.  I'm an RN and a retired school nurse.  The most important part of my job was monitoring immunizations and insuring that all the students were up to date and on schedule.  My child never received that series of vaccines....instead I signed a waver every year for him to be able to attend school without it.  Many parents don't realize they can go to the immunization website and request a waiver that will allow their children to go right through school with no immunizations.  And a parent can also refuse that Hep B immunization for their baby at birth.

It's not that I believe immunizations should be eliminated entirely.  I just think they are way overdone and too many people profit from them.  Every year there is a new one that parents are encouraged to get for their child to prevent this or that.  Now it's sexually transmitted diseases.  After all we do want to be good parents and prevent our children from STD's before they reach adulthood!   $$$ It's all about money for the big guys. This is just one mother's opinion.  However if one were to read about all these immunizations I would refer them to the Center for Disease Control.  Our own government website.  A few years back I read about the Hep B vaccine on the CDC website and the increased occurrence of Autism.  It's just too ironic for me that the incidence of Autism increased greatly after the September '92 calling for all newborns to be given the Hep B injection.  I'm not sure it's still on the CDC website, it may have been altered or deleted by now as a "favor" to some drug company.  But I saw it and read it and listened and learned.

Well, off my soap box for now.  I'm in my 60's, healthy, survived all those illness's and may I mention never even saw a dentist till I was about 12 years old.  I do believe there is something to be said for beans and rice!
One last word, let the kids have their pizza!  I bet children in Italy are doing fine with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment