Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I should be knitting!

It's holiday baking time and I should be knitting instead of writing.  I just put my bread to rise and I have a fruit cake in the oven which my husband won't leave alone.  He decided he needed to heat the oven to 400 degrees for the bread without first checking to see if there was anything in the oven and of course my fruit cake was merrily baking away at 325F.  Thank goodness I heard the timer beep.  I asked him what he had done and he told me he had heated the oven to 400 for the bread.  I nearly fainted as I ran to turn it down.  I'm wondering now what's going to happen to that fruit cake full of candy and nuts?  He gets bored and wants to help.  I sent him back to his office to do what he was suppose to be doing.

I've got a hat half knitted and 1/2 a pair of mittens that I need to finish before Friday!  My house still needs cleaning and I have committed to going into town tomorrow!  Help!

Here is the recipe for the bread.  It can either be put into 2 loaf pans or rolled into two flat breads........

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup bran
1/2 ground flax seed
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon soft butter
2 teaspoons yeast dissolved in 1 cup luke warm water and 2 Tablespoons honey

Combine dry ingredients then add butter and yeast/water mixture.
Blend with an electric mixer until dough is elastic, adding a little extra flour if needed.

Turn out on lightly floured surface and roll into a ball
Oil a large bowl with olive oil and roll dough ball in it till all surfaces are covered with oil
Cover with a plastic bag and set in a warm place to rise till double in size
When double in size turn out on lightly flour surface, punch down and roll into ball
Cut ball in half and place dough in lightly oiled bread pans or roll out flat to fit cookie sheets
Cover again with plastic bags and leave to rise until double in height.

Bake in preheated over 400F until it begins to brown.
This is a very light crusty bread!

If I am making flat bread I make a mixture of 1/4 cup warm water with a tablespoon of flour, mix well and brush over the flat bread then sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds, before I set it to rise the second time.

The fruit cake turn out delicious.  It was so good that I made a second one.  I'm thinking of selling this fruit cake, maybe will start a mail order business.  It is the best I've ever eaten.

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of my blog followers!  I wish safety, peace, health and a full belly for all of earth's inhabitants and those beyond if there are any!



No comments:

Post a Comment