Friday, December 2, 2011

Rainy, Cold Day

What to do on a rainy cold day?  I decided crocheting and baking bread is in order for the day.  My bread is rising in the oven and will hopefully make a beautiful whole wheat flat bread which is our favorite.  We make a large batch of it a couple of times a week and toast it for meals.

The bread as it is rising.


....and when it came out of the oven we chowed down.
MMM, the house smells so good when bread is baking.  I feel so fortunate and give many thanks to the universe and powers that be!

We also make our own yogurt, large stock pots full of it.  We purchase a natural greek yogurt to use as a starter and also use a cup from our previous batch as a starter sometimes.  It is the best yogurt one could eat.  We strain it slowly in the refrigerator so it will thicken.  We drink the strained whey.  It's very sweet with a little tang to it and supposedly very healthy containing protein, vitamins and minerals.  It is also known to control insulin levels in the blood.

Homemade yogurt below:

And there is nothing like a dish of fresh pomegranate seeds to indulge oneself.

Thanks to the Persians for this delightful fruit!  It looks like a bowl of rubies.  When I was a child my father would peel one pomegranate and share it with me and my brothers.  When I was older and travelled to Iran I was thrilled to have an entire bowl of these juicy little seeds set before me.  I couldn't believe my eyes or ears as I was offered a dish of them to eat with a spoon.  I was in heaven.  Besides being delicious the pomegranate seeds are also medicinal being good for digestion, the heart and skin.  It has been reported to lower cholesterol and blood pressure.  I just eat it because I love the way those little jewels "pop" in my mouth when bitten down on, excreting their tangy sweet berry juice!




No comments:

Post a Comment